Monday, December 10, 2012

Back to My Roots - Hearty Kielbasa & Potatoes



This is a meal my mom has been making since before I was born, but I especially remember that she would make it on St. Patrick's Day, which led me to believe it was an Irish dish. Being 25% Irish, I carried around a certain pride for this meal thinking it was a link to my heritage (or something). Though the dish did precede my existence, my mother only recently let me in on the fact that it evolved from hot dogs and potatoes that she would make for my older siblings before I was born. Kielbasa was deemed the better alternative somewhere along the way, and I was left thinking my mother had been preparing tradition in a pot.

Fun fact: Kielbasa is Polish. I guess it didn't occur to me that Polish sausage wouldn't belong in a "traditional Irish dish"

I guess the trick is on me today. I found myself not even a week away from being home, and I just needed me some kielbasa and potatoes. Finished a final, drove to the store - kielbasa, potatoes... and two avocados later ... called my mom to get the exact recipe:

"So I just boil the potatoes? Strain them? And then cook them with the sausage?" 
"Not even, just put the sausage in the pot, then add the potatoes"

Best.Meal.Ever.

2 medium or large russet potatoes
1 package Kielbasa (Polish Sausage)

Cut Kielbasa into half-inch slices and put into large pot on medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Peel and chop potatoes into appox. 1-inch cubes. Add to sausage in pot and cook covered on medium-low heat for 30-40 minutes until potatoes are tenter, stirring occasionally.
Served best with ketchup.

I used turkey Kielbasa for this recipe as my way of making it healthier





No comments:

Post a Comment